Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: We Could Be Brothers

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine

This week I'm waiting on....


We Could Be Brothers by Derrick Barnes

Release Date: November 1, 2010

Two thirteen- year-old African-American boys become friends during a three day stint in an after school suspension. They were both involved in two unrelated incidents with the same person, the resident menace at Alain Locke Middle, Tariq Molten.

Robeson Battlefield is from a two parent household, where both parents are highly successful and educated. Academic achievement, social consciousness and responsibility are reinforced daily in the Battlefield household.

Pacino Clapton comes from a single parent household; his mom works two fulltime jobs. Pacino has a ton of responsibilities, including cutting hair to help pay bills, and taking care of his twin five- year-old sisters.

During this three day span, the young men visit each others home, and "chop it up" on a multitude of subjects including respect of self and Black women, the dire state of hip-hop music, the use of the dreaded "N" word, and masculinity.

Before long, the three boys are on a collision course. And when they do intersect, their lives are changed forever.

-This middle grade novel does have the potential to be a bit heavy handed in its message but I don't think it will be. I read and loved the author's first YA book, The Making of Dr. Truelove, which is hilarious and a bit crass. We Could Be Brothers will probably not be as crass but I'm guessing there will still be some good humor. Also there is a huge need for more books about African American boys and I'm thrilled that this novel helps close that void.

What book(s) are you waiting on this week? Any PoC releases?

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to see Barnes has another YA book coming out. I can't lie: I didn't care for Dr. Truelove, but he didn't write that for me. He wrote it for young men and we need more males of color who are writing for young men.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!! Thank you for sharing :) And don't be Anon, I try to always reply back and I like to know who I'm replying to ;)