Thursday, January 20, 2011

2011 Global Reading Challenge

This is the closest challenge I came to completing last year. This is the year I will actually complete it! Once again, I'm going for the Medium level which requires me to read 2 book from each continent as well as one 'seventh continet' book (which means a book that takes place in Antartica OR history, the future, space, a parnanormal world). It is also recommended that you try to read books from 14 different countries or states.

Interested in joining me? Sign up here

I stuck with YA/MG and I added a few extra titles to give myself more options.

Africa

Aya by Marguerite Aboeut, Clement Oubrerie (Ivory Coast)

The Door of No Return by Sarah Mussi (Ghana)

Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor (Nigeria)

Asia

Orchards by Holly Thompson (Japan)

Monsoon Summer by Mitali Perkins (India)

Shooting Kabul by N. H. Senzai (Afghanistan)

Europe

Dreams of Significant Girls by Cristina Garcia (Switzerland)

Coram Boy by Jamila Gavin (England)

Spain or Shine by Michelle Jellen (Spain)

North America

Deadline by Chris Crutcher (Idaho)

Exclusively Chloe by J.A. Yang (California)

Grease Town by Ann Towell (Canada)

South America (+Central America)

The Indigo Notebook by Laura Resau (Ecuador)

Amor and Summer Secrets by Diana Rodriguez Wallach (Puerto Rico)

Life, After by Sarah Darer Littman (Argentina)

Australasia

Nukkin Ya by Philip Gwynne (Australia)

Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey (New Zealand-off color)

The Shattering by Karen Healey

Seventh Continent

Half World by Hiromi Goto (fantasy world)

Have you read any of these? Any other recommendations? (I've pretty much read all YA books set in Africa by U.S. authors. Or it so it seems...)

4 comments:

  1. You've got some great choices on this list. I've read and enjoyed: Shooting Kabul and Aya. I love Mitlali Perkins' books so Monsoon Summer should be excellent

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only one I've read of these is Aya, but it is FABULOUS! (I've read the first three and recommend them all if you can find them.)

    I've never even heard of most of these books, which is GREAT. My wish list has just jumped up by a dozen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Helen-Thank you, I adore making lists :) I'm working on reading one book for a challenge each month and Shooting Kabul is my choice for Jan. I've read a few Mitali Perkins' books (although only reviewed Secret Keeper) and they are wonderful.

    @nisababepraised-My library doesn't have Aya but I'm determined to request it at another library! Or maybe buy it, money is tight though.

    Yes I love making wish list increase!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved Karen Healey's Guardian of the Dead for its incorporation of Maori cultural history.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!! Thank you for sharing :) And don't be Anon, I try to always reply back and I like to know who I'm replying to ;)