Sunday, June 12, 2011

New Crayons (I'm Out of Town-No Internet Access)

Hosted by Color Online

There's so much to do. I have a post about whitewashing to write, a post about Jane Austen & people (specifically teens of color), some interview requests to send. I love being busy and it's summer so I don't feel too overwhelmed :) Although I do have ACT/SAT studying to do and college application essays. Bleh



Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu

Once upon a time, Hazel and Jack were best friends. But that was before he stopped talking to her and disappeared into a forest wth a mysterious woman made of ice. Now it's up to Hazel to go after him. Inspired by Hans Christian Andersen's "The Snow Queen," BREADCRUMBS is a story of the struggle to hold on, and the things we leave behind.


-From the author, thank you so much Ms. Ursu! I really enjoy fairy tale retellings and I'm not familiar with 'The Snow Queen' so I look forward to reading this magical, wintry tale :)




My Own Worst Frenemy by Kimberly Reid

Straight outta the Mile High City, Chanti Evans is an undercover cop’s daughter and an exclusive private school’s newest student. But Chanti is learning fast that when it comes to con games, the streets have nothing on Langdon Prep.

Chanti can’t believe she’s gone from rocking the hottest gear to sporting J. Crew. But after trouble in her neighborhood, her vice cop mom wants her safe. Now, she’s across town at Langdon Prep, where rumor and gossip are the real lethal weapons…

With barely a foot in the door, Chanti gets on the bad side of school queen-bee, Lissa, and the snobbish Headmistress Smythe. And when a series of pricey thefts puts everyone on edge, Chanti is under major suspicion. But the last straw comes when she and her new Langdon crush, dangerously fine heartthrob, Carlos, are set up to take the heat for a burglary…

Now Chanti will need her detective skills to uncover the real culprit and clear her name. But with her BFF mysteriously turned on her, and a drug dealer gunning for her, Chanti will have to figure out who’s got her back—and who’s out to stab it—or this too-fierce sleuth won’t have any kind of future at all…

-I started reading MOWF already which was a bad idea because I'm not taking it on my tip but I'm hooked! It's really good. I was afraid there would be too much whining and slang I didn't know but Chanti makes some literary references that are fun to catch and her friends are really funny. I have great hope for the rest of the book.

What did you get this week?

*I will be in Guatemala from June 10-20 with no Internet access. All emails/comments/Tweets will be answered upon my return.