Friday, June 10, 2011

Summer 2011 Reading List

I love summer, reading and making lists so this is what happens when I combine my two lists!

Here's my summer reading list for 2010 I didn't get very far but I'm going to update it with a few comments below


Classics Reading List

1. Middlemarch by George Eliot (I downloaded this book on my Ereader but I rarely use my Ereader. I continued reading this book on my Spring break road trip with my family but I haven't picked it up [or my Ereader] since. I think this would be the biggest achievement of my summer if I could finish this book)

2. Kindred by Octavia Butler (I own this book now so no excuses!)

3. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

4. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

5. Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

6. Persuasion by Jane Austen (Oddly enough this is the Jane Austen book I laughed the most at, I would have thought that honor would go to Pride & Prejudice but no....and I didn't properly review it haha)

7. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (Read for school, I don't absolutely LOVE it but it's my 2nd favorite book we read, next to The Importance of Being Earnest)

8. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (currently reading and it is VERY SLOW GOING. Don't expect a review anytime soon. Although I am bringing it to Guatemala so maybe....)

9. Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw (I want to read this next so badly)

10. The Living is Easy by Dorothy West

Adult Fiction

1. Bless Me Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya
2. The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende
3.
Children of the Waters by Carleen Brice
4.
Sag Harbor by Colson Whitehead
5.
Tryin' to Sleep in the Bed You Made by Virginia DeBerry and Donna Grant
6.
Devil in a Blue Dress by Walter Mosley (Book 1 in Easy Rawllins series)
7. White Teeth by Zadie Smith
8. Waiting to Exhale by Terry McMillan
9. Feminista by Erica Kennedy (plan to read next)
10. Bloody Waters by Carolina Garcia-Aguilera (Book 1 in Lupe Solano Mystery series)

Off Color (To reiterate: These books will not be reviewed here. I may review them on Goodreads)


1. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (We own this book so I have no excuse not to read it sometime) 2. Graceling by Kirsten Cashore
3.
Rampant (Killer Unicorns #1) by Diana Peterfreund
4. Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev
5. The Deathday Letter by Shaun Hutchinson
6. The Daykeeper's Grimoire (Prophecy of Days #1) by Christy Raedeke
7. Violet on the Runway by Melissa Walker
8. The Eternal Kiss: Vampire Tales of Blood and Desire (anthology), edited by Trisha Telep (
Read never reviewed on Goodreads, one day....)
9. White Cat by Holly Black
10. Levithian by Scott Westerfield


2011 Summer Reading List (this is not school-required)

Classics

1. Middlemarch by George Eliot (MUST FINISH)

2. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

3. Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw

4. Kindred by Octavia Butler

5. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

6. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

7. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

8. The Richer, The Poorer by Dorothy West

9. Quicksand by Nella Larsen

10. Plum Bun by Jessie Redmon Fauset

Adult Fiction

1. Becoming Madame Mao by Anchee Min (Madame Mao absolutely fascinates me)

2. Empress Orchid by Anchee Min

3. Under Fishbone Clouds by Sam Meeking

4. Half of A Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (taking on the trip to Guatemala)

5. Bless Me Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya

6. The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende

7. Drown by Junot Diaz (taking on the trip to Guatemala)

8. Onaedo-The Blacksmith's Daughter by Ngozi Achebe

9. Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafoar

10. The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

No-poc Main character (This summer has been dubbed my Summer of YA Contemporary. Thus all the books are contemporary so as much as I love recs if it's YA historical mystery or something it's not going to be added but it will stay in my mind)

1. Not That Kind of Girl by Siobhan Vivian

2. Violet on The Runway by Melissa Walker

3. Mostly Good Girls by Leila Sales (Lived up to the hype but didn't WOW me, fun read)

4. Anna And the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

5. The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver by E. Lockhart

6. Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty

7. Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly (ok so this is half historical fiction and half contemporary I think so I'll add an extra contemporary book to make up for it :)

8. Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols

9. Papertowns by John Green

10. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

11. If I Stay by Gayle Forman

So what do you think of the books on my list? I'm ready for a summer of fun reading mixed in with some deep reading!

*I will be out of town with no Internet access from June 10-20. If it's urgent you're out of luck haha. But I will respond to all emails/comments/Tweets as soon as I can upon my return.