Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: The Latte Rebellion

Hosted by Breaking the Spine

This week I'm waiting on...

The Latte Rebellion by Sarah Jamila Stevenson

Release Date: January 8th, 2011

Hoping to raise money for a post-graduation trip to London, Asha Jamison and her best friend Carey decide to sell T-shirts promoting the Latte Rebellion, a club that raises awareness of mixed-race students.

But seemingly overnight, their "cause" goes viral and the T-shirts become a nationwide social movement. As new chapters spring up from coast to coast, Asha realizes that her simple marketing plan has taken on a life of its own—and it's starting to ruin hers. Asha's once-stellar grades begin to slip, threatening her Ivy League dreams, while her friendship with Carey hangs by a thread. And when the peaceful underground movement spins out of control, Asha's school launches a disciplinary hearing. Facing expulsion, Asha must decide how much she's willing to risk for something she truly believes in.


-Obviously I always intended on reading this book (and really if the premise didn't intrigue you, my interview with the author should have. ;) As a bonus it has blurbs from Tanita Davis and Justina Chen Headley, two authors whom I really like. Also I like that the book seems to mix the serious with the humor, taking a form of prejudice and using it to raise money to benefit the main character. Me gusta :)

Your move. What are you waiting on today?

2 comments:

  1. I just hope I struck the right balance between serious and funny! That's always a tough one...

    Thanks for giving my book so much air time, Ari!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ari! I've jumped on the WoW boat this year. And guess what my first book is? The hint is in this very post of yours.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!! Thank you for sharing :) And don't be Anon, I try to always reply back and I like to know who I'm replying to ;)