Monday, November 22, 2010

2011 YA/MG Debut Author Challenge




The Story Siren is once again hosting the YA/MG Debut Author Challenge. The goal is to try and read at least 12 books by a debut author (the author can be an adult author making their debut in YA or MG). To participate and learn more sign up here The challenge starts Jan. 1, 2011 and ends Dec. 31, 2011. It should go without saying but I'll say it anyway: I'm focusing on debuts by/about people of color.

Here's my prelimnary list. I will add onto it as I learn about new titles. This page will constantly be updated with my reviews as I check books off this list.

1. The Latte Rebellion by Sarah Jamila Stevenson (YA)

2. How Lamar's Bad Prank Won a Bubba Sized Trophy by Crystal Allen (MG)

3. Illegal by Bertina Restrepo (YA)

4. The Great Wall of Lucy Wu by Wendy Wan-Long Shang (MG)

5. What Can't Wait by Ashley Hope Perez (YA)

6. Luminous by Dawn Metcalf (YA)

7. The Bestest Ramadan Ever by Medeia Shariff (YA)

8. Vanished by Sheela Chari (MG)

9. The Trouble With Half a Moon by Danette Vigilante (MG)

10. Sister Mischief by Laura Goode (YA)

11. Wildefire by Karsten Knight (YA)

12. Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai (MG)

13. Posses by Gretchen McNeil (YA)

14. The Iron Witch by Karen Mahoney (YA)


15. Across the Universe by Beth Revis (YA)



16. I Am J by Cris Beam (YA)


17. Words in the Dust by Trent Reedy (YA)


18. Eliza's Freedom Road by Jerdine Nolen (MG)



19. Tall Story by Candy Gourlay (MG)

20. Subway Girl by P.J. Converse (YA)

21. Under the Mesquite by Guadalupe Garcia McCall (MG)

22. Under Pressure by Rashaun Hughes (YA)


23. Karma by Cathy Ostlere (YA).


24. This Thing Called the Future by J. L. Powers (YA)


25. Now is the Time For Running by Michael Williams (YA)


26. Out of Shadows by Jason Wallace (YA)


27. Stir It Up by Ramin Ganeshram (MG)


28. Sylvia & Aki by Winifred Conkling (MG)





See a list of all 2011 books about poc here





Here's a list of all 2011 YA/MG debuts by authors of color

7 comments:

  1. Eeep! How could you not have Across the Universe by Beth Revis? Not only is it seriously amazing (don't let the sci-fi label fool you), it has a tight, complex plot (that will probably throw you for a loop at least once), a great love story, deals with some jaw-dropping issues, and every character but one is a POC! :D Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I haven't added any of those to my list, but I think I should :)
    By the way, I'm your newest follower, please follow back!
    Hafsah @ IceyBooks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for joining the challenge, Ari!! You've got a great list of titles, and I'll be sure to keep an eye out for debuts featuring people of color! happy reading and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to reading a lot of these, too! Thanks so much for including The Latte Rebellion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so honored to be a part of your list. THANK YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Heather-Whoa totally didn't know that1 Thanks for brining it to my attention :) The cover is phenomenal.

    @Hafsah-Thank you for following and I hope you do add some of these books to your list!

    @story siren-This is one of my favorite challenges (and might be the only one I come close to finishing). Thank you so much for all your help :D

    @aquafortis-But of course, thanks for stopping by and being so avaible to RiC!

    @Ms. McNeil-No problem, I'm thrilled that Cindy Pon told me about your book =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @kirsty-I love getting new followers, thank you so much for stopping by and reading :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!! Thank you for sharing :) And don't be Anon, I try to always reply back and I like to know who I'm replying to ;)