Monday, November 15, 2010

2011 YA/MG Debut Authors of Color

I was going to wait to publish this till January 1st, when the Story Siren's YA/MG Debut Author Challenge begins. But I decided to publish this list earlier to put the books on people's radars and hopefully you can add on to my list! Especially because I would hate to miss an author of color and not be able to interview them for my Elated Over Eleven feature. (so basically this is also a list of authors I hope to interview :) I will accept self-published books as long as they are YA/MG by a debut author of color.


1. Teenie by Christopher Grant (YA). Release Date: December 28th. My interview

2. The Great Wall of Lucy Wu by Wendy Wan-Long Shang (MG) Release Date: January 1, 2011
Interview

3. The Latte Rebellion by Sarah Jamila Stevenson (YA). Release Date: January 4th, 2011 My interview

4. Eliza's Freedom Road: An Underground Railroad Diary by Jerdine Nolen Harold (MG). Release Date: January 4th, 2011

5. The Trouble With Half a Moon by Danette Vigilante (MG). Release Date: January 6th, 2011. My interview

6. How Lamar's Bad Prank Won a Bubba-Sized Trophy by Crystal Allen (MG). Release Date: February 22, 2011 Elated over Eleven interview

7. Illegal by Bettina Restrepo (YA). Release Date: March 8th, 2011 EoE interview

8. What Can't Wait by Ashley Hope Perez (YA). Release Date: March 2011 Interview

Luminous
by Dawn Metcalf (YA). Release Date: July 7th, 2011 (ETA: Dawn Metcalf has kindly informed me that she is not a poc author. I will include her book on my future list of all 2011 YA/MG debuts ABOUT POC. Thank you so much for clearing that up Dawn and I'm sorry if I mislead anyone! But seriously the cover is so brilliant and the book sounds so fabulous, you shouldn't mind ;)

9. The Bestest Ramadan Ever by Medeia Shariff (YA). Release Date: July 8th, 2011

10. Vanished by Sheela Chari (MG). Release Date: July 26th, 2011

11. Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai (MG). Release Date: February 22, 2011

12. Tall Story by Candy Gourlay (MG). Release Date: February 8, 2011 Interview

13. Under the Mesquite by Guadalupe Garcia McCall (MG). Release Date: October 2011

14. Under Pressure by Rashaun Hughes (YA). Release Date: January 7, 2011.

15. Stir it Up! by Ramin Ganeshram (MG) Release Date: August 1, 2011

16. My Own Worst Frenemy (Chanti on the Case #1) by Kimberly Reid Release Date: September 1, 2011

Please add books to this list!

7 comments:

  1. So many interesting titles there. I saw Luminous at GAL Novelty the other day, but must ahve missed the fact that the main character can take off her skin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great list - I've jotted down some titles. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THE LATTE REBELLION and WHAT CAN'T WAIT look especially interesting to me, though LUMINOUS is intriguing as well. Thanks for the list - I'll be keeping tabs on the titles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget 8th Grade Superzero Olugbemisola Rhuday-Perkovich... a fine debut!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks for posting this list - it's a big help to a harried and slightly lazy-brained person like me. :)

    Just the titles snag my interest - I looked up the book blurbs too, very interesting books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a wonderful site! Thanks so much for adding VANISHED to your list. I'm very excited about many of the titles that I recognize on your list so far! 2011 should be a great year for debut authors. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to have to steal some of your books. I feel bad because I had to off set the list to make sure PoC go some coverage. The list is actually a lot harder than I thought it would be to come up with. There's something definitely wrong with that picture...

    At any rate, I'm going to research some of these books and put them on my list.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!! Thank you for sharing :) And don't be Anon, I try to always reply back and I like to know who I'm replying to ;)