Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: Under the Mesquite

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.


Under the Mesquite by Guadalupe Garcia McCall

Release Date: October 31, 2010

When Lupita sees Mami crying over a pesky mesquite growing in her rose garden, she knows something is wrong. Through the kitchen window, she overhears that Mami has cancer. After an operation, things seem to return to normal for Lupita and her family, and they go on with their lives, going back and forth between attending school, working, and living in the United States and visiting family and friends in Mexico. However, when Mami’s cancer returns, Papi doesn’t know whether he should accompany Mami during her long convalescence at an out of town cancer clinic or stay home to care for Lupita and her seven brothers and sisters. Suddenly, being a high school student, dealing with difficult friends, starring in the school play, even writing, become less important to Lupita than doing whatever it takes to save Mami’s life.

-I really like how this cover uses the light to illuminate Lupita gazing up at the mesquite. It's nice. It would suck (that's putting it mildly) to have deal not only with high school but also with one of your parents having cancer. My heart goes out to Lupita and I'm eager to read her story.

Summary from Goodreads.com

Any PoC releases you are waiting on this week?

2 comments:

  1. I'm really interested in getting hold of this series:

    http://www.stravaganza.co.uk/

    Look at those beautiful covers! and the 3rd one in particular. :) They're fantasy stories, and they've been around for some time now, but the original covers just didn't inspire me. These new ones are lovely. I think there might be a film in the works, too... I need to catch up!

    Kaz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave The Potter by Laban Carrick Hill

    Eight Days: A story of Haiti by Edwidge Danticat

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!! Thank you for sharing :) And don't be Anon, I try to always reply back and I like to know who I'm replying to ;)