It is time for my second REAL challenge. I've said it countless times, I don't read fantasy and science fiction. I always thought it would be too complicated for me or even too creepy. But I always get emails asking for YA/MG speculative fiction about poc recommendations and I'm tired of not being able to give my own recommendations. I WILL complete this challenge.
Hosted by Floor to Ceiling Books. You must read 12 books. Starts Jan 1, 2011. Ends Dec 31, 2011.
1. Little Sister by Kara Dalkey
2. Rot & Ruin (Benny Imura #1) by Jonathan Maberry
3. Slice of Cherry by Dia Reeves
4. Fury of the Phoenix by Cindy Pon
5. Huntress by Malinda Lo
6. Libyrinth by Pearl North
7. The Prince of Fenway Park by Julianna Baggott
8. Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin
9. The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer
10. Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore
11. Magic or Madness by Justine Larbalesiter
12. Flora Segunda (Flora Trilogy #1) by Ysabeau S. Wilce
13. Zahrah the Windseeker by Nnedi Okorafoar-Mbachu
14. City of Light, City of Dark by Avi
15. Shipbreaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (Ship Breaker #1)
16. For the Win by Cory Doctrow
17. Arrow by RJ Anderson
Hopefully I have a wide range of books covered, although I think I have more fantasy than science fiction. *sigh* But it's better than nothing. It looks like I might have more Asian-inspired fantasy than anything else, I would like to add at least one other YA/MG with Latino/a main characters. I'm actually very eager to dive into this challenge and I won three of these books (one of them is only temporary though =/) so I better get cracking! Any recommendations would be welcome (if you've already recommended titles to me know that I did listen. It was just really hard to narrow down the list). An invaluable resource was Charlotte's list and Zetta's list.
ETA: I do not crosspost for challenges so debuts about poc are mostly likely on my list of YA/MG debut authors, same thing if they are a mostly GLBT cast (I'm still working on that challenge post though).