Sunday, March 14, 2010

Blogger Spotlight! TheHappyNappyBookseller

I've grown lax on my blogger spotlight. It's supposed to be weekly so I will work on having that feature more since I enjoy the interviews!

This week I'm talking to Doret whose blog is TheHappyNappyBookseller, which is one of the best blog names. Doret is someone I count as one of my godmothers. She was one of the first supporters of Reading in Color and she is THE person to go to when you are looking for upcoming releases of YA/MG books that feature POC. She is a great resource and a wonderful cheerleader :) She's also working on the publishing project with Laura and I.

1) Explain about your blog

I had a hard time finding blogs that talked about books featuring characters of color, so I decided to start my own. My blog stands out because of my focus on books with kids of color. Though I will happily say how much I loved a book that features all White characters- good is good. I wanted my blogger name to be catchy and say that girls got melanin.

2) What 2010 debut book are you most looking forward? Non-debut?

There are two 2010 debuts I am looking forward to;
The Last Summer of the Death Warriors by Francisco X. Stork. I am also looking forward to Finding My Place by Traci L. Jones
RiC note: The Last Summer of the Death Warriors is amazing! I really want to read Finding My Place.
One non debut I am looking forward to is Better Than I Know Myself by Virginia DeBerry and Donna Grant. Someone I work with loves their books, so I am excited to finally be reading one.
3) What are your top 5 favorite POC books?
Only 5? That's hard. I will keep it strictly YA to make it a little easier
Sammy and Juliana in Hollywood by Benjamin Alire Saenz
Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork
Upstate: A Novel by Kalisha Buckhanon
Down to the Bone by Mayra Lazara Dole
Sunrise Over Fallujah by Walter Dean Myers
4) Talk about yourself =)
I am from NY, I currently live in Atlanta. I am pretty quiet person. I enjoy watching sports, I don't play any. I have been known to randomly stop and admire a tree or two.
RiC: To learn more about Doret and her love of sports and literature read this interview she did with Justine Larbalestier!
5) If you could have dinner with any two POC characters who would it be and why?
My favorite novel is Mama Day by Gloria Naylor. I would love to have dinner with the sisters Miranda (Mama Day) and Abigail. They can trace their family tree all the way back to 1799, I would like to hear a few of those stories. Plus both sisters can throw down in the kitchen.
Finally any advice to those who want to start reading POC? And to those who are starting a blog?
Anyone who doesn't normally read books with poc, I would suggest getting a personalized recommendations. You'll have a better chance so starting with a book you will enjoy. Also if a friend or blogger, who reads poc novels has similar taste in books try reading one of their favorite books with poc.
To anyone starting a blog: It may take a while to find your blogger voice and style but you'll find it. Make yourself known by commenting at other blogs. Take full advantage of your local library. Have fun with it!
Wonderful advice from a wonderful blogger! I expect everyone to go become a follower of theHappyNappyBookseller now.
If you would like to be featured in the blogger spotlight email me or leave a comment.

11 comments:

  1. HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY! Doret, you're so together. I can't count the number of books I read because of you. I stop at your blog and Ari's like breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doret's voice is so important in the kidlit blogosphere b/c she actually knows what people look for and buy when they're in the store...and I love the idea of her "handselling" books that a shopper might never have considered otherwise. Great spotlight on a great blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Doret spotlight! I just borrowed Marcelo and I can't wait to read it. and LOL at the tree thing. Reminds me of a certain friend of mine. (She not only stops to stares at the trees, but if she feels truly awed by their spectacular-ness, she will grab her cell and take photos of it. *amused*)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies, and glad to know I am not the only one with a thing for trees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview. Both Ari and Doret add so much to the blogosphere. Glad to learn a little more about you Ms. Doret!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Doret's blog, it's fun to see what other booksellers are doing out there! I love that like me she just gets kids to read great books regardless of what the character looks like! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only way I could have enjoyed this better would be if you two sat down in a coffee shop and just let the cameras role.Thanks for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, this is a happy-making thing! thanks to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried on two browsers, but the end of the interview is cut off for me. Am I the only one? I want to know the two characters she wants to meet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Akilah, it apparently works on Internet Explorer orrrrrr if you have this post on google reader you can read the whole thing. It didn't work for Google Chrome OR Firefox for me either. =X

    ReplyDelete
  11. @akilah-I'm sorry! I'm having trouble with the coding I think. I've been working on it but it's hard to tell since it shows up on my computer. I'll keep working on it but here's the answer too; My favorite novel is Mama Day by Gloria Naylor. I would love to have dinner with the sisters Miranda (Mama Day) and Abigail. They can trace their family tree all the way back to 1799, I would like to hear a few of those stories. Plus both sisters can throw down in the kitchen.
    Finally any advice to those who want to start reading POC? And to those who are starting a blog?
    Anyone who doesn't normally read books with poc, I would suggest getting a personalized recommendations. You'll have a better chance so starting with a book you will enjoy. Also if a friend or blogger, who reads poc novels has similar taste in books try reading one of their favorite books with poc.
    To anyone starting a blog: It may take a while to find your blogger voice and style but you'll find it. Make yourself known by commenting at other blogs. Take full advantage of your local library. Have fun with it!

    Thank you everyone else for the kind words! Doret it was a pleasure to interview you :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!! Thank you for sharing :) And don't be Anon, I try to always reply back and I like to know who I'm replying to ;)