Friday, October 16, 2009

Riding the Universe

So I thought I had published my Riding the Universe review. Apparently not, so here it is. I read it over the summer. Good summer read. It's from the library.

Riding the Universe by Gaby Triana 2009

Rating: 4/5

IQ “It makes me wonder: why should we get used to anything when nothing is permanent? Even people. Why should we put our hearts way out there for them when they’re only going to die on you one day?”

Chloé Rodriguez values three things above all else—her family; her best friend, Rock; and Lolita, her Harley-Davidson 1200 Sportster. With a black body, blue airbrushed flames, and perfect sloping ape hangers, Lolita is Chloé's last connection to her beloved uncle, Seth, who left her the bike when he died last summer. So when a failing chemistry grade threatens to separate Chloé from her motorcycle, she vows not to let that happen . . . no matter what.

Enter Gordon. Ridiculously organized, übersmart, and hot in a casual, doesn't-know-it kind of way, Chloé's peer tutor may have a thing or two to teach her besides chemistry. But she has to stop falling for Gordon . . . and get Rock to act mature whenever he's around . . . and pass chemistry so she doesn't lose Lolita forever. Just when Chloé thinks she's got it all figured out, a bump in the road comes out of nowhere and sends her skidding.

I want a motorcycle. To me this book should come with a warning sign. Warning: You may have a desire to go out and ride a motorcycle after reading this book. The motorcycle scenes are described with excellent imagery. I want to go out and ride!

I liked this book. My favorite character was Chloe. I really sympathized with Chloe because, while I haven’t taken chemistry yet, I’m sure I won’t understand it either. It’s got to be tough when something you love is being threatened to be taken away. Also, like in The Kayla Chronicles Chloe (like Kayla) makes up words. Chloe’s aren’t as funny as Kayla’s, but they make more sense (in my opinion). For example, “Gordon stares at me with a look I can only describe as malevoly-something both malevolent and ‘holy moly’!” I liked the made-up words, the motorcycle aspect and I loved the title. I learned a lot from this book about stars (Chloe likes astronomy).

I didn’t give this book 5/5 because it didn’t amaze me. The plotline is very original and interesting, but the book just wasn’t fantastic to me. I’m not really sure why, but I would recommend it to everyone (I would love to hear from you after you’ve read it). I highly encourage everyone to read it though, especially because it’s so different (the love story part is pretty cliché, although there were certain parts in the love story that I didn’t see coming). 8th grade & up

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this book, but I only gave it 4 stars myself. I couldn't really put it into words, either...I loved the ruminations on her motorcycle, the made-up-words, the strong cultural and familial focus...but I wasn't, you know, FIVE STARS!!! With that said, I'll definitely be picking up anything Triana writes in the future. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!! Thank you for sharing :) And don't be Anon, I try to always reply back and I like to know who I'm replying to ;)