Sunday, October 18, 2009

New Crayons

New Crayons is when I share what new books I got. Hosted by Susan at Color Online

Before I share my new books I have an announcement/question:
October is Filipino Heritage Month. I didn't learn this till last night (I was researching months in honor of various cultures). I would like to review at last two books with Filipino/a main characters. I only know of one book, Fresh Off the Boat by Melissa de la Cruz. If anyone has any suggestions please leave a comment or email me.
Thanks!
Onto the books....
From Borders

Ash by Malinda Lo
In the wake of her father's death, Ash is left at the mercy of her cruel stepmother. Consumed with grief, her only joy comes by the light of the dying hearth fire, rereading the fairy tales her mother once told her. In her dreams, someday the fairies will steal her away, as they are said to do. When she meets the dark and dangerous fairy Sidhean, she believes that her wish may be granted.

The day that Ash meets Kaisa, the King's Huntress, her heart begins to change. Instead of chasing fairies, Ash learns to hunt with Kaisa. Though their friendship is as delicate as a new bloom, it reawakens Ash's capacity for love-and her desire to live. But Sidhean has already claimed Ash for his own, and she must make a choice between fairy tale dreams and true love.
-I have only seen 5s or the highest ratings possible being given to this book. Seriously, I haven't seen a single negative review. And why not? The synopsis makes it sound exquisite and the cover is gorgeous! I did another happy dance when I got this book.
From Barnes & Noble
The God Box by Alex Sanchez
How could I choose betwen my sexuality and my spirituality, two of themost important parts that made me whole?

High school senior Paul has dated Angie since middle school, and they're good together. They have a lot of the same interests, like singing in their church choir and being active in Bible club. But when Manuel transfers to their school, Paul has to rethink his life. Manuel is the first openly gay teen anyone in their small town has ever met, and yet he says he's also a committed Christian. Talking to Manuel makes Paul reconsider thoughts he has kept hidden, and listening to Manuel's interpretation of Biblical passages on homosexuality causes Paul to reevaluate everything he believed. Manuel's outspokenness triggers dramatic consequences at school, culminating in a terrifying situation that leads Paul to take a stand.

-My first Alex Sanchez book and this seemed like the best one to start with since I'm curious about the issues between religion and sexual orientation.
I just realized that both of these books are about gays and lesbians. I'm glad as I'm ready to start widening my reading horizons :) Also it's LGBT History month so even though none of these books have to do with the history, they are still about LGBT teens. But this was unintentional, I probably won't even get around to reading these books till November.

11 comments:

  1. Great books! I read Ash and I have a draft but have not posted my review. Yep, loved it.

    Oh, I have to God Box.

    Was working on an interview. My crayons up shortly.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, those both sound really good. I have not yet got around to reading any of Alex Sanchez's books (I have Getting It), but I've heard great things about his work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Ash!!! I really want to read that one. Looking forward to your review(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant wait to see what you have to say about Ash. Ive heard very mixed reviews on the book. Happy Reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Ari! Yep, it's Filipino American Heritage Month! The YA books with Filipino characters that I know of are only available in the Philippines. But I do know of one available in the U.S. too - Bagets: An Anthology of Filipino Young Adult Fiction edited by Carla M. Pacis and Eugene Y. Evasco. I know Amazon has it and that it is available in some U.S. libraries. I hope you can find it. =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have any suggestions for Filiipino Heritage month, but I'm interested to see what you come up with. I was an exchange student there in high school. I fell in love with the people - I'd love to read more about them and their beautiful country. I'll be staying tuned ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. If The God Box is sending the message that God is okay with homosexuality (after reading some of the reviews on Amazon, I'm thinking it does)then the author is misinterpreting God's Word. God is not a man that He should lie (Numbers 23:19). His Word says what it says (1Corinthians 6:9 speaks against homosexuality and other sexual sins) and it means what it means. Is this Manuel a homosexual but not acting on it because of his faith and love for God? Or is he acting on it and convincing himself it's okay because God loves him (and He does; He loves everybody) even though God says in His Word that homosexuality a sin? I guess I'd have to read the book for myself to get the answer to that question, but I don't think I will. Even though Christian fiction is the genre I most prefer, I do read other genres. But this book, some of the reviews make it clear to me that there's a lot of deception going on. So no, I cannot read the work of someone who disrespects my heavenly Father by twisting the truth of His Word.

    ReplyDelete
  8. iluvhersheys-I'm curious as to where you saw a negative/mixed review of Ash? I honestly haven't seen any non-100% positive reviews.

    Katrina-I respectfully disagree with your views. However, I haven't read the book so I can't really say yet. Based on my understanding the book is about a teen struggling with the idea that he is considered a sinner simply because he's gay. Which should not be the case, and I don't believe that.

    Susan-I've always wanted to see the Philipines! I bet it was awesome :)

    Tarie-Thanks for the suggestion!

    I'm so excited to read Ash and God box :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay looking forward to hearing if The God Box is good, always up for some alternative ways to interpret the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've wanted to read God Box since "meeting" Alex over at Amy's WAR series...will look forward to reading your review!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!! Thank you for sharing :) And don't be Anon, I try to always reply back and I like to know who I'm replying to ;)