Blessing's Bead by Debby Dahl Edwardson
Released: Nov. 10, 2009
Nutaaq and her older sister, Aaluk, are on a great journey, sailing from a small island off the coast of Alaska to the annual trade fair. There, a handsome young Siberian wearing a string of cobalt blue beads watches Aaluk “the way a wolf watches a caribou, never resting.” Soon his actions—and other events more horrible than Nutaaq could ever imagine—threaten to shatter her I~nupiaq world. Seventy years later, Nutaaq’s greatgranddaughter, Blessing, is on her own journey, running from the wreckage of her life in Anchorage to live in a remote Arctic village with a grandmother she barely remembers. In her new home, unfriendly girls whisper in a language she can’t understand, and Blessing feels like an outsider among her own people. Until she finds a cobalt blue bead—Nutaaq’s bead—in her grandmother’s sewing tin. The events this discovery triggers reveal the power of family and heritage to heal, despite seemingly insurmountable odds.
-Amazon describes this as 9-12, but I think it may also be early YA (the main characters are teenagers). We need more books about the natives in Alaska!
And I received an award from the awesome Donna Bites Thanks so much Donna!
The Honest Scrap award is given to 7 bloggers. List 10 honest things about yourself. This award is given to bloggers who blog from the heart. I'm so honored to get this because I always strive to be honest! And if you're not mentioned, I still love you but I could only nominate 7! I also tried to give the award to new people :)
I nominate (random order)
1. Justine at Justine Larbalestier
2. Lee Wind at I'm Here. I'm Queer, what the Hell do I Read?
3. Briana, Arielle & Marissa at B.A.M. Book Reviews
4. Celi.a at adventures of cecelia bedalia
5. Michelle at A Reader's Respite
6. Steph at Steph Su Reads
7. Reggie at the Undercover Book Lover (Not Really)
10 Honest Things
1. I really dislike school (I'd rather read all day and hang out with friends)
2. I LOVE politics (just not all politicians!)
3. I love chocolate. If I could, I would eat a piece everyday :D
4. I'm a Chicago fan (Cubs, Bears, Blackhawks, everyone except the White Sox, bleh).
5. I want the Yankees to win the 2009 World Series. And I want the Cubs to win the 2010
6. I'm really not all that into Halloween (never have been). All the other book blogs helped get me in the spirit.
7. I love musicals and dance movies (original Fame, Mamma Mia!, Wicked, Carmen Jones, Chicago)
8. I have no idea as to what I really want to do once I graduate college
9. I don't have the patience or talent to write a book (but thank you to all who think I could!)
10. I've always wanted to go sky-diving!