Saturday, July 11, 2009

Summer, Summertime: Indigo Summer

So I figured out how to post images. Yay me! Now I need to figure out if I'm going to have widgets stating what I'm currently reading/what I want to read or if I'll just make lists. Thoughts? Holla at me in the comments sections.

Kimani Tru is a division of Kimani Press. Kimani Tru are books written by African American authors for African American teenagers. I've read almost all the books in the series (and all will be reviewed here) and I have one complaint. I feel that many of the books are too simplistic as well as short, contain spelling/punctuation/grammar mistakes and very predictable. There are of course exceptions to this rule. So the first Kimani Tru book I'm going to review is Indigo Summer by Monica McKayhan.



Indigo Summer by Monica McKayhan 2007

Rating: 2/5

Fifteen-year-old Indigo Summer's world finally seems to be going in the right direction: She hooks up with the star linebacker on the high-school football team, gets a date for homecoming and makes the high-school dance squad all in the same week. But sometimes things are just too good to be true. After football star Quincy Rawlins abruptly dumps her for a girl who is willing to put out, Indigo's popularity and self-esteem take a nosedive. When her perfect world falls apart, Indigo turns to the one person who seems to have his head on straight—her next-door neighbor, sixteen-year-old Marcus Carter. The problem is, now that Indigo realizes what a great guy Marcus really is, so does someone else.


Rating: 2/5

I enjoyed reading this book, but I felt that it was too cliche and predictable. The Quincy/Marcus drama I totally saw coming, but that might just be me. I think the whole 'he dumped me because I wouldn't have sex with him' is played out, but it is an important story in that girls (and guys) should know that it's ok to not have sex right away and you shouldn't feel pressured by your gf/bf to have it. However, this old storyline needs a new twist. In this book, it just seemed tired. What I did like about the book was it was easy to read, quick, and entertaining at parts. I didn't think it was laugh out loud funny, but it had some entertaining parts. I loved Justin, he sounded so adorable. The Justin twist was unexpected and I liked that. I would love to have Indigo as a friend. She seems real cool and down to earth. Also it sounds like she's a really good dancer, which I envy so she could teach me some moves :)

There are five books in this INDIGO Novel series, which I will review in succession. I may review one Indigo novel and then review a totally different book that's unrelated to the Indigo series. This is the first book. Agree/Disagree with my review? I wanna know your opinion.

Also I thought the title was pretty clever (haha not really). It alludes to the character Indigo Summer and the song Summertime by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince (Will Smith). Summertime is one of my fav summer songs. It just brings to mind lazy days at the pool, or just lounging around outside. What's your fav summer song?

3 comments:

  1. I think it's fabulous that you're young and enjoy writing about books! Great start! Peace...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was such a reader when I was in my teens wish they had blogging then. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw thanks guys for all the love! If you could spread the word to any teens/adults that you know who may be interested in something like this, thanks! also any criticisms?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!! Thank you for sharing :) And don't be Anon, I try to always reply back and I like to know who I'm replying to ;)