Friday, February 19, 2010

Blogger Spotlight: Write On

Welcome to this week's blogger spotlight in which I interview book bloggers that are POC or that review books about POC (meaning you don't have to be a POC to be featured, just dedicated to reviewing more books about POC). If you have any interest in being interviewed, email me or leave a comment.

This week I'm talking to Jeannine from
Write On. Jeannine is an aspiring picture book author and incredibly optimistic and hard working, which I love. Read this interview so you are able to say "I knew her from way back when!"

1) Explain about your blog.

I started my blog almost a year ago at the suggestion of my very sweet husband. I was not so sure about putting myself out there, but I decided to take the plunge and I'm so glad I did. I love blogging and I love being a part of the blogosphere. My blog is basically about the books I am reading, my own writing journey and anything else that I deem post worthy.

2) What 2010 debut book are you most looking forward to? And non-debut?

I can barely keep up with what came out last year. I am pretty excited about The Girl Who Fell From the Sky. The title alone is intriguing.
RiC Note: Leave some recommendations of a non-debut for Jeannine!

3) What are your top five favorite POC books?
Push by Sapphire (I read it before the movie)
Fifth Born by Zelda Lockhart
The Darkest Child by Delores Phillips
Cane River by Lalita Tademy
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

4) Talk about yourself =)

Well in addition to being a pre-published picture book author (you gotta think positive), I am also a mom and wife. I am a proud dredlock wearing sister and avid reader. I am 34 years old (what I'm not ashamed) but people always think I am in my 20's. I love to laugh and make people laugh and of course I love chocolate. I am a scrapbooker, a list maker, a yoga do-er and basically a super cool girl.

5) If you could have dinner with two POC characters from any book who would it be and why?

Wow, big question. I think too big for me to even answer right now. I will probably lay awake all night thinking about it!! I can tell you two authors I wouldn't mind having dinner with. Sapphire (author of Push). I have never read a book that was so raw and real yet hopeful. I also would love to pick Jacqueline Woodson's brain. She writes so many different types of books and it just seems like she is magic. How does one person have so many great ideas?

Finally any advice to those who want to read POC? And to those who are just starting to blog?

My advice to those who want to read POC is just do it. It doesn't seem like something that should be a big effort. I think we are so lucky to have such a great blogging community to keep us up to date on books that otherwise might just fall under the radar. I have discovered so many new titles by POC that my bookshelf is about to collapse. If you are new to blogging, again I say just do it. My first few postings I didn't even make public until I got my confidence up

And we are so glad Jeannine got her confidence up, visiting her blog is truly enjoyable. I think she's very cool! Thank you for joining me Jeannine :)

Speaking of Jacqueline Woodson, check out this post on Jacqueline Woodson done by susan for the GLBT Reading Challenge (and sign up if you haven't already!)

6 comments:

  1. So glad that you highlighted Jeannine!

    She has great spirit, feisty and well-read. It will only be a matter of time before she takes the publishing world by storm and capture the heart of picture book readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! Thanks for featuring Jeannine. She has a fresh voice and heart for storytelling. I know she'll move from pre-published to debut author soon :).

    Here are some 2010 non-debuts to check out: The new Ruby & the Booker Boys chapter book, Tad P. Loves Ruby B. (my daughter LOVES those) by Derrick Barnes; Around My Way, a picture book by Tameka Fryer Brown; and YA novels A Wish After Midnight by Zetta Elliott and 8th Grade Superzero by Olugbemisola Rhuday-Perkovich.

    Keep up the great work, Ari. Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see Jeannine featured here. I'm with Kelly, this woman is going places.

    I recommend No Laughter Here by Rita Williams Garcia. Cool Moonlight by Angela Johnson and Feathers by Jacqueline Woodson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice interview. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know Jeannine well and can tell you that she is a super positive and spunky individual even in the face of adversity. There are just some people that you know will succeed, and her attitude is just one gift that will take her wherever she wants to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love the interview with Jeannine. As a brand new published author of a childrens book series myself, it is encouraging and impressive to see so many writers for our children's literacy, and that I may be priviledged to one day call peers!
    ---Anita T. Gibbs

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!! Thank you for sharing :) And don't be Anon, I try to always reply back and I like to know who I'm replying to ;)