Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: Sister Mischief

Sister Mischief by Laura Goode

Release Date: July 12, 2011

A gay suburban hip-hopper freaks out her Christian high school - and falls in love - in this righteously funny and totally tender YA debut, for real.

Listen up: You’re about to get rocked by the fiercest, baddest all-girl hip-hop crew in the Twin Cities - or at least in the wealthy, white, Bible-thumping suburb of Holyhill, Minnesota. Our heroine, Esme Rockett (aka MC Ferocious) is a Jewish lesbian lyricist. In her crew, Esme’s got her BFFs Marcy (aka DJ SheStorm, the butchest straight girl in town) and Tess (aka The ConTessa, the pretty, popular powerhouse of a vocalist). But Esme’s feelings for her co-MC, Rowie (MC Rohini), a beautiful, brilliant, beguiling desi chick, are bound to get complicated. And before they know it, the queer hip-hop revolution Esme and her girls have exploded in Holyhill is on the line. Exciting new talent Laura Goode lays down a snappy, provocative, and heartfelt novel about discovering the rhythm of your own truth.


-When I read the summary of this book I was ecstatic, it sounds so original and fun and I love hip-hop. Then I started to grow apprehensive about this book. Would I like reading original hip-hop lyrics? Are Christians going to be demonized? Um who actually uses the words fierce and bad in the same sentence? But I'm once again at a happy anticipation stage after reading a few reviews on Goodreads. Plus I really admire that these teens sound like such go-getters, I don't think I'd have the courage to be different if I was deemed to be outside the norm of my small town...yay rebels :)

Breaking the Spine is the creator and host of this meme