Sunday, May 15, 2011

New Crayons & You Could Win a Kindle & Oh Whitewashing

Before we talk about my New Crayons I wanted to help spread the word on an up-and-coming YA author, Nina Perez (who like me happens to be Black and Panamanian so yes I'm a little biased ;) I haven't had the chance to read her book The Twin Prophecies: Rebirth yet but it sounds fascinating. Ms. Perez is giving away a Kindle from May 16-May 18 in celebration of her book's release. Go here for more information about the giveaway and Rebirth's press release

I haven't checked my mailbox in forever and I'm still fairly MIA from the book blogging world. BUT I've found some new books I'm really excited about that I need to add to the updated list of 2011 YA/MG releases about poc. Please leave me any links to interesting articles from March to the present, I'm hoping to do some catching up next week.

From Yan-Thank you so much (just in time because I've been craving a good YA contemporary read)!

Love, Inc by Yvonne Collins & Sally Rideout

Zahra, Kali, and Syd would never have met if their parents' marriages hadn't fallen apart. But when the three girls collide in group counseling, they discover they have something else in common: they've each been triple-timed by the same nefarious charmer, Eric, aka Rico, aka Rick. Talk about eye-opening therapy.

Cheerful, diplomatic Zahra is devastated. Rico had been her rock and sole confidant. How could she have missed the signs? Folksy, flirtatious Kali feels almost as bad. She and Rick had only been on a few dates, but they'd felt so promising. Hardened vintage-vixen Syd is beyond tears. She and Eric had real history... Or so she'd thought. Now all three girls have one mission: to show that cheater the folly of his ways.

Project Payback is such a success, the girls soon have clients lining up for their consulting services. Is your boyfriend acting shady? Dying to know if your crush is into you? Need match-making expertise? Look no further than Love, Inc
.

-Ahh a good ol taking-karma-into-your-own-hands story!

OH and this may well ruin your day/hour. I am going to write more on this but I'm super busy with school and I'm still not quite sure as to what I can even say that hasn't already been said 100x over and much more eloquently. Whitewashing of Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow by Nathan Bransford. And yes I do think this is whitewashing. Thank you Charlotte for bringing this to my attention and then writing a great post about why it's so important to read books about "others" aka books that show how diverse our world is.