Due to a bookish meme that I gave a new twist, I have begun to think of specific YA sub genres in which poc are ignored. I listed 5 sub genres and I hope to have five posts with recommendations of books in this genre that fit my criteria. If you missed last week's post, it was a list of YA book set in/near boarding schools with poc as the main or very important secondary characters. Feel free to add on recommendations to that list as well!
I'm not entirely clear as to the difference between paranormal and supernatural so I decided to include both. I would love it if someone clued me in on the difference though :) Some of these titles do come from recommendations left at the original post so stop by there to see who recommended what (and thank you so much for all who left recommendations!)
1. Devil's Kiss by Sarwat Chadda (and its sequel The Dark Goddess). I LOVE these books. There are no friendly paranormal creatures in this book, they all want to kill you. Bringing scary back (but not nightmare scary). Seriously READ THEM.
2. Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves. Another book that I become a fangirl over. MUST READ. One of my favorite books of 2010.
3. Daughters of the Moon series by Lynne Ewing
4. Betwixt by Tara Bray Smith
5. Dead Gorgeous by Malorie Blackman
6. Manifest by Artist Arthur
7. City of Ghosts by Bali Rai
8. Invisible Touch by Kelly Parra
9. Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry
10. Half World by Hiromi Goto
11. Unleashed by Kristopher Reisz
12. Other by Karen Kincy
13. Sisters of Isis series by Lynne Ewing
14. Ruined by Paula Morris
OK I won't make myself mad by thinking about all the white YA paranormal titles I could list.....
Please leave recommendations!
ETA: It's hard sometimes to distinguish between paranormal and fantasy (for example Half World could probably go either way) so I'm using my discretion when it comes to adding to the list. If it has the usual suspects of vampires, werewolves, ghosts, zombies, it will definitely make the list. For less-popular creatures (at the moment), it's harder to tell but I'll do my best! I don't want fantasy recs yet, solely paranormal.