After I mentioned in a random bookish meme, that I wanted to see more YA/MG about poc in boarding schools with some humor, I received some recommendations via Twitter and I did some research of my own. So I've decided for the next five weeks, I will ask for recommendations of books that fit the criteria listed in that meme. This week is poc at boarding school YA/MG that are not completely unhappy and about being the "only" (fill in blank).
So please Please PLEASE help me make this list longer. The list was so tiny as is that I decided to just include all YA/MG about a poc at a boarding school. One day I will be able to differentiate the categories into 'humorous' and 'why so serious?'
1. The Fall of Rome by Martha Southgate (not YA but I think I've heard that it has crossover appeal?)
2. Maizon at Blue Hill by Jacqueline Woodson (MG/YA. Very good)
3. New Boy by Julian Houston (YA. Have yet to review, need to re-read but I remember really liking it)
4. The Poison Apples by Lily Archer (YA. I THINK one of the girls is Asian. and I think it might actually be funny)
5. Samurai Shortstop by Alan Gratz (YA. Funny)
6. Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey (YA. I think it's supposed to be humorous and I'm not sure if the main character is a poc but let me know if it needs to be taken off the list). ETA: See comments. Staying on list because boarding school is the backdrop and the cast is diverse.
7. Hidden Talents by David Lubar (YA. I actually own this book. I've read it. and yet I only remember that it was funny and that the guys were "delinquents")
8. The School For Dangerous Girls by Eliot Schrefer (YA. I think it's a plot spoiler if I say who is a poc so just take my word for it?)
9. The Tequila Worm by Viola Canales (YA. I believe half of it is set at boarding school and the other half at home)
10. Sweetgrass Basket by Marlene Carvell (MG/YA)
11. Black Mirror by Nancy Werlin (YA)
12. It's All About Us series by Shelley Adina (YA)
And I just threw this one in because I want to read it...
Black Ice by Lorene Carey (Memoir of her teenage years at boarding school)
Not bad huh? But I bet I could name more than 10 about white teens in boarding school. So help me out, leave recommendations! I will add on to this list as recommendations come in.