Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: Where the Streets Had A Name

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme in which I share what upcoming releases I'm eagerly awaiting. This meme is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

Where the Streets Had A Name by Randa Abdel-Fattah

Release Date: November 1, 2010

Thirteen year old Hayaat is on a mission. She believes a handful of soil from her grandmother's ancestral home in Jerusalem will save her beloved Sitti Zeynab's life. The only problem is that Hayaat and her family live behind the impenetrable wall that divides the West Bank, and they're on the wrong side of check points, curfews, and the travel permit system. Plus, Hayaat's best friend Samy always manages to attract trouble. But luck is on the pair's side as they undertake the journey to Jerusalem from the Palestinian Territories when Hayaat and Samy have a curfew-free day to travel.

But while their journey may only be a few kilometers long, it could take a lifetime to complete....

-Randa Abdel-Fattah is one of my favorite authors. She may not be for everyone, but I love her. Especially her sense of humor and how she educates me about Muslim culture. This book doesn't sound like it will be as laugh-out-loud but since she is one of my favorite authors, I naturally need to read this book. Also, I want to start learning more about all the issues between Israel and Palestine. I know the simple reason behind all their conflicts, but I know it must be more complex than it seems. The cover shown is the UK cover. I couldn't find the US one except on Amazon and I don't like the weird-white backgrounds that Amazon uses with their covers. Anyway, the US cover is the one I prefer because it shows Jerusalem (I think) but it also makes the book look younger. I don't really like the UK cover (pictured) simply because it's so plain. And unless pink Converse play a role in this story, I don't see a point in featuring them. The Australia cover is also rather plain, just Hayaat's rather melodramatic facial expression.

What book (s) are you super excited for? Any PoC releases?

5 comments:

  1. I really like this author. I didn't know she had a new book coming out. I will definitely add this to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to read her books! I have them in my TBR pile and reeeeally want to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't familiar with this author, but I just went to Amazon and read an excerpt of "Does This Make My Head Look Big?" and it was hilarious, so I'm going to have to get it. The new one sounds really good, too, for different reasons. Like you, I would like to know more about the Israel/Palestine conflict and the story sounds compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone who is currently wearing her *third* pair of pink converse, I have noticed this trend on several covers now. I don't really get it.

    This does sound good though, and I really liked the last book I read by this author. I'd love to learn more about this conflict too, especially from a human angle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really think that randa is a dedicated author and have read all her children books except this one and am going to send out for it

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!! Thank you for sharing :) And don't be Anon, I try to always reply back and I like to know who I'm replying to ;)