Sunday, January 17, 2010

New Crayons & Reading in Color News

New Crayons is a meme hosted by Susan at Color Online. It's when I share what new books I got for the week, crayons being a good metaphor for books about people of color :)

I'll start off with the new books I got, then post about the reviews I did this week (in case you missed any) and finally I'll let you know what's going at Reading in Color, especially concerning the Magic Under Glass cover controversy.

This week I went to the library (so much for not going to the library) and ended up getting more books when I already have a ton that I need to read at home! *sigh* But they all look great so yay books!

Fat Hoochie Prom Queen by Nico Medina

Margarita "Madge" Diaz is fat, foxy, and fabulous. She loves herself, and is adored by almost everyone else...except queen bee/student-body president Bridget Benson. These two girls have a history that's uglier than a drag queen after last call. During a heated argument, they decide there's only one way to end their rivalry: be named prom queen and the other backs off -- for good.

Of course, everything looks different in the sober light of morning, but pride is at stake and the race is on. Madge is committed to doing whatever it takes to secure the title, but so is Bridget. And everyone's got something to hide.

Welcome to Winter Park High School, where the dirt's not just gonna fly...it's gonna go into freakin' orbit.

-This book sounds hilarious! I got it for the GLBT challenge (it's why I went to the library in the first place)


Shadow Speaker by Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu

Niger, West Africa, 2070: After a nuclear fallout in the early twenty-first century, the earth's civilization has been completely transformed. Magic, mysticism, and mind-blowing technology now rule the world. In West Africa, fourteen-year old Ejii struggles to master her own magical powers. When her world is completely upended after she witnesses her father's death, Ejii faces a unique opportunity to explore her power and realize her destiny. But is she ready for the responsibility that comes along with that? Embarking on a journey across the Sahara, Ejii befriends new allies and battles dangerous foes. It soon becomes clear that her people need to be protected from a terrible force seeking to annihilate them. And Ejii may just be their last hope for survival.

-I finally got this book! So excited :D I decided to finally get it because I plan on writing a February post about the lack of poc in sci fi/fantasy. And I realized that I'd only read two sci fi/fantasy books about poc (A Wish After Midnight by Zetta Elliott and Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon) and I want to read more before I write the post.


Secret Keeper by Mitali Perkins
When her father loses his job and leaves India to look for work in America, Asha Gupta, her older sister, Reet, and their mother must wait with Baba’s brother and his family, as well as their grandmother, in Calcutta. Uncle is welcoming, but in a country steeped in tradition, the three women must abide by his decisions. Asha knows this is temporary—just until Baba sends for them. But with scant savings and time passing, the tension builds: Ma, prone to spells of sadness, finds it hard to submit to her mother- and sister-in-law; Reet’s beauty attracts unwanted marriage proposals; and Asha's promise to take care of Ma and Reet leads to impulsive behavior. What follows is a firestorm of rebuke—and secrets revealed! Asha’s only solace is her rooftop hideaway, where she pours her heart out in her diary, and where she begins a clandestine friendship with Jay Sen, the boy next door. Asha can hardly believe that she, and not Reet, is the object of Jay’s attention. Then news arrives about Baba . . . and Asha must make a choice that will change their lives forever.
-A gift from my mother. If you're reading this, thanks mom! (*waves*) I've wanted this book for so long and now I have it :D
This was a great week in books for me, not because of quantity but quality!
This Week at Reading in Color
Male Monday: 8th Grade Superzero by Olugbemisola Rhuday-Perkovich (Great book)
Tuesday: Colorful Author Interview with Olugbemisola Rhuday-Perkovich (in which she shows how amazing and talented she is. She definitely gave me some words to live by!)
Throwback Thursday: Flight to Freedom by Ana Veciana-Suarez (I'm giving away a copy of this book, it was really good)
Friday: Good Enough by Paula Yoo
Saturday: Really Bloomsbury? I'm Done-Bloomsbury has yet again put a white model on the cover of a book about a "dark skinned" girl (quoted from the book). Am I angry? you better believe it! Read my post as I update it with blog post reactions from other bloggers. I'll be doing another, longer post later today (sometime in the evening I suspect so I'm going to be really busy).
Finally, my giveaway ends tomorrow at 11:59 PM CT. Don't forget to enter, the books are great!
You can win Flight to Freedom, The Ring and The House on Mango Street (I haven't reviewed this book yet and I won't be able to before the giveaway ends, but it's a beautiful book, so well written. Short but conveys an important message. 5/5)
And of course, please don't forget about Haiti. Continue to pray for them, give money if you can and give blood! Giving blood is free and almost anyone can do it. In most states you have to be at least 16 (with parental consent). If you live in Illinois, check out LifeSource. If you don't live in Illinois then go to the RedCross. The hospitals in Haiti desperately need blood, please do your part. Also, there is some controversy over the money that Yele (Wyclef Jean's charity that helps Haiti) receives. I received an email about it and I've heard it on the news. It's poor accounting at its best, essentially stealing from the people of Haiti at its worst. I suggest you simply give to the RedCross or another organization that you trust (any charity run by the government/government officials like the Bill Clinton Foundation).

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE SHADOW SPEAKER. That book brought back the magic of fantasy for me. ♥ And, le gasp, what is this?! You only read 2 fantasy novels with POC last year?! (Okay, maybe my personal count on this isn't thaaaaaat much higher, but fantasy genre is my baby, even if sometimes I feel like medieval fantasy hates me, so yeahhhhhhh.) Need recs for fantasy novels featuring POC? I've got some titles you might be interested in. =D

    And huh, I clearly missed that Good Enough review because I don't remember coming across it. Will rectify this mistake of mine.

    My heart is out for Haiti. T_T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Shadow Speaker. It's a sequel to Zarah the Windseeker, which I also loved, but in a very different way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started Shadow Speaker and didn't get into before it was due. Must go back and get it and Zarah.

    I want to read Fat Hoochie Prom Queen by Nico Medina. Haven't found it yet.

    I read and reviewed Wanting Mor by the way.

    You will love Secret Keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I read Secret Keeper and I absolutely loved it!!! Hope you enjoy all your books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ah yuan- I'm ashamed too, haha except fantasy has never been a favorite genre of mine. I've read very little sci fi/fantasy and no manga/graphic novels. Must fix this. I definitely need recommendations!

    @Elizabeth-I don't think it's a sequel. I thought they were sperate books? Esepcially because Shadow Speaker came out first. Ugh I hate getting the 2nd book in a series when
    I haven't read the 1st!

    @susan-I'm super excited for all these books :)

    @iluvhersheys-Did you review it? I'd be interested in your review, but I'm gald to hear you loved it =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ari,

    I can whip up a list for you. Just to clarify though, would you prefer to have a reclist that is solely YA fantasy, or is MG or Adult fantasy okay as well?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Ah Yuan-YA and MG fantasy only please. And poc naturally :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Ari,

    lol I took the POC bit for granted. 8D

    OKAY, here it goes. In no particular order:

    1) Gullstruck Island by Frances Hardinge (okay that one is really #1, but I swear the others won't be)
    2) Nation by Terry Pratchett
    3) Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale
    4) The Legend of Tarik by Walter Dean Myers
    5) Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves
    6) Swoon by Nina Malkin (Er, the main love interest is half-native and the protagonist is Jewish, so I'm counting it.)
    7) The Dragon's Egg by Alison Baird (Okay, I haven't read this since I was, like, 10, so I don't know if I'd still vouch for it, but I remember liking it a lot back then.)
    8) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya by Nagaru Tanigawa (this is more sci-fi than fantasy, but I enjoyed the story a lot, once you get passed the weak translation)
    9) The Twelve Kingdoms by Ono Fuyumi (I didn't like this one very much, but my friend LOVES it, so w/e. And the translation was pretty good, if I remember the book correctly)
    10) Moribito by Nahoko Uehashi (Same as Twelve Kingdoms. Didn't like this or the anime adaptation, but it's pretty popular, so what the hey.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Ah Yuan-Thank you! I've heard a lot about Moribito and everyone says Bleeding Violet is crazy and original :) I've read mixed reviews of Swoon so we'll see about that. And I've heard amazing things about Book of a Thousand Days. So excited to read these recommendations, may not be till February but now I have a starting point :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shadow Speaker looks absolutely fantabulous, and I've never heard of it?! How can this be? Can't wait to read that one. YAY!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!! Thank you for sharing :) And don't be Anon, I try to always reply back and I like to know who I'm replying to ;)